To: "James&Nash" <james austin1984 googlemail com>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Live CD and Internet Connection

Firstly let's confirm whether the wireless card in the computer is found
(sorry if you know this bit is certainly happening). I would try the
iwconfig command from a terminal. It probably will tell you that certain
interfaces don't support wireless extensions, but hopefully it will give
details on the wireless settings of an interface (if you only have one
wireless card then that must be it). If it is finding your card then it
probably is a matter of configuring it for the right wireless network.
This probably is a case for distribution documentation as it does depend
on what is provided as to how you would go about configuring it.
If it is certain that the wireless card in the computer is not being
detected then things could become a bit more difficult (not impossible
if you have internet access with another computer, as you can download
it on the other computer and transfer it with removable media). To find
how you might get an unsupported card working you probably would need to
do a google search.

Unfortunately I am not over familiar with ubuntu and I don't use
wireless that much so I can't really help much more on this.

I also have to say that I think starting with Linux is the hardest part
of using Linux as there are so many things you do initially which once
set up never need touching again.

Michael Whapples