Re: [orca-list] How does Linux know?

The short answer is that Linux distributions tend to come with a good
number of drivers, and so there is a chance that when you install Linux
you will automatically have all the drivers you need. In the case where
a driver is not in the distribution, then you would need to find a Linux
version (not always provided by the manufacturer).

The best advice I could give is try a live CD of a distribution you want
to use and see how much of your hardware it works with. This will tell
you how many (if any) drivers you will need to find.

As an example of how distributions tend to provide all necessary
drivers, both my desktop (custom built but not originally designed for
linux) and my dell laptop did not need me to install any extra drivers.

Michael Whapples