Re: [orca-list] Contents of Debian Packages

Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> writes:

What is the easiest way to find and view contents of Debian (*.deb)
packages?

If you have the package installed, use "dpkg -L packagename".

Earlier, I could seem to find many packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives but I think that is temperary because I
don't see all my installed packages in there.

Yes, as the directory /var/cache suggests, these packages are cached when
you use "apt-get install" to install a package from a repository.
If you use "apt-get clean", /var/cache/apt/archives is cleaned out.

I do realize that 'dpkg -c' seems to work well at showing me the
files contained inside the package.  I just don't seem to know of a
permenant resting place for these guys if there even exists such a
place.

Packages are unpacked and installed on your system.  After the installation,
the files from inside the package do reside in your filesystem.

When I did a locate of *.deb, I couldn't find anything with orca in
it for example.
You can run "dpkg -L gnome-orca" to see which files on your computer
are comming from gnome-orca.

With my slackware box, there was a /var/log/packages where I could
list the contents of any package that was installed.  Actually these
were listings; maybe listings are available some place.

You can run "dpkg -l|grep ^ii" to see a list of all packages installed
on your system.  Use "dpkg -L packagename" to get a list of all files
from a certain package.

I'm just trying to verify which packages would need to be upgraded in
Orca if I go with experimental.  I know of gnome-orca but the
dependency list didn't mention at-spi, atk, or any of that.

The only package from the at-spi/atk family that gnome-orca depends on is
python-pyatspi, which itself depends on a certain version of at-spi
and libraries.

--
CYa,
  âââââ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>