[orca-list] Two questions from a potential switcher

Hi folks,

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am still quite confused about all this Linux stuff
. So my questions;

1. From waht I've read, Orca only seems to work on Gnome is this correct? If so then I should only be looking at distributions which contain the Gnome desktop. So could anyone please point me in the direction. I have already downloaded and burned to disc the Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora 9 Speakup Modified versions. Are there anymore?

I have been looking at the Gnome Project. I was wondering if Gnome needed to be updated separated from the Linux version or whether it came as part of the installation and as such was updated with the OS? I have as I have said previously also used Mac OS X and from what i understand it is similar to Linux being Unix based?

Thank you

James