Re: [orca-list] Possibly OT -- GUI development in Linux

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 15:14 +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
[...]
I've found two cross-platform accessible GUI frameworks that are
available right now.  Swing is accessible because the java-access-bridge
bridges accessibility info from Swing applications to
assistive technologies like Orca.  SWT (the Eclipse UI toolkit)
is cross-platform accessible because it uses native widgets
(just like Wx does, but SWT actually works).
These now seem to be the ones I am concluding give best cross platform
accessibility.

There is one upcoming solution which is not readily available just yet
but which might get interesting in a few wekks, thats Mono accessibility
bindings (bridge) for WinForms applications to ATK.  So you will be
able to write a System.Windows.Forms based app in C# and have
it accessible on Linux and Windows.
This sounds interesting, would like to see it happen.

I'm afraid I haven't found a cross-platform accessible GUI toolkit
for languages like C++ or Python, Java is the only option right now,
and C# will be a future option.  You might be able to use Jython
to program in Python but make use of existing Java classes.
There are a few reasons I wouldn't use jython, the main one being that
it is another implementation and does not have a C API, so I couldn't
use any python extension module. One thing I have seen which might be of
use here, which would allow python (I mean actually use python not
another implementation) is jpype (http://jpype.sourceforge.net) which is
an extension to allow use of java classes from python.

Michael Whapples