[orca-list] Orca, Gnome Speech extreme latency, stalling

My name is Zed Burnett and I work for the New Mexico Commission for the Blind.  I am testing my new laptop,
which just happens to have most of the same core hardware as our new desktops, for use with Linux and Orca.
My current distribution is Ubuntu 8.10.  Under both eSpeak and the Cepstral David synthesizers there is such
extreme latency and stalling that it is difficult to even know what is being properly read or not.  There
does not seem to be anything else wrong with this setup.

I realize this is not exactly a support forum.  The problem is worst using the Cepstral voice (David 5.1),
and they don't seem interested in supporting their claims of compatability.  I would like to provide whatever
logs, configuration files or anything else you may need so that we can find out if there is really a bug here
of if it's just kinked drivers or whatever.  I'm a hardware and OS guy, but my programming knowledge is on
the slim side of slim.  Regardless, I would be happy to help out in whatever way I can towards resolving
these issues.

After years of getting slammed with the high price of Microsoft and proprietary assistive technology, I would
also love to help provide practical alternatives for some of my consumers, and take a little of that pressure
off our budget (and the taxpayers that provide it).  Putting additional personal time toward this and
learning a bit more troubleshooting, debugging, programming is not out of the question, for me.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/