[orca-list] can't start speech-dispatcher

When I try to start Speech-dispatcher, I get error messages about a
certain file not being in my home directory, something about speech.pid
or something like that and the fact not having permisions even though I
am the only user.
I can only tell this error message is coming up if I am running orca and
type sudo speech-dispatcher from Gnome Terminal.
What am I doing wrong?
I have even tried changing my sound preferences to Alsa and I still get
the same error message.
I seem to be nearer to resolving things with Intrepid as I think Hardy
was getting an earlier version of Speech-dispatcher.