Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird: Cursor keys only means of navigating the mailbox list

Hi, Marco,

If you want to keep single-letter hot-keys, you might consider making them context-dependent. When focus is in the message list, the single-letter hot-keys function as they are currently implemented. If focus is in the mailbox tree, then single-letter hot-keys are disabled and single-letter (or multiple letter) navigation of the mailbox tree becomes functional. In fact, you have this partially implemented at the moment, since the single-letter hot-keys are disabled when focus is in the quick search text box. While I'm not thrilled with this solution, it is a possibility.

Thanks,

dave

Marco Zehe wrote:
Hi David,

David E. Price wrote:
When I'm in the list of mailboxes, the only means for navigating the
list is using the arrow keys.  There is no speedy way to move down
through the list that I can find.  For instance, if I have a mailbox
called "Work" and it is the only mailbox starting with the letter `w', I
cannot hit the `w' key and have focus move to the "Work" mailbox.

Tbhunderbird currently does not support first letter navigation within
its lists. This has partly to do with the fact that Thunderbird offers
certain single-letter keys such as "n" to move to the next unread
message in the same or next folder, or to quickly toggle marks on
messages such as "read" or "unread".

The Thunderbird team is aware of this problem, and we're thinking about
a better solution that would allow maybe to toggle these, but nothing
substantial has come of this so far.

Marco