Re: [orca-list] PolicyKit

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:40 +0300, Mohammed Al-shar' wrote:
hi Steve and all,

I read the page http://live.gnome.org/Orca/KeyboardCommands
but  couldn't find the following: the key that reads the focussed control,
something like insert tap in Jaws, and sorry for the analogy here. also, is
there a key to read the status bar?

On a laptop, capslock + ; reads the current control, and capslock + /
twice reads the status bar.

HTH.

thanks,
Mohammed Al-shar'

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Holmes" <steve holmesgrown com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] PolicyKit

James, welcome to the list.  I've personally used policykit and I'm fairly
new to Gnome and Orca myself.  But in general, most of the battle for a11y
can be won by making sure the controls on a dialog are all in the tab
order
- you can get to all of them when you press the tab key.  If such controls
are all greyed out, then fine; you shouldn't be able to tab to them since
they have no focus but you mentioned anunlock button; if that button is in
the tab order and is properly labeled, then one should be able to tab to
it
and hear that it is an unlock button.  My only concern here may be if that
is the only button on the form that is active, you wouldn't be able to
move
on or off the button with tab key so you might not know what butt is
currently focused.  I suppose this is no different than a dialog with a
single OK button today.

Another important factor here is a competent screen reader user can
supplement reading of the dialog with the flat review keys (numeric
keypad)
and hear the entire contents of the dialog including static text, greyed
controls, etc.  The one thing I'm unsure of right now is if Orca will tell
you that you read a greyed or disabled control with flat review keys or
not.
This would be an important feature to add if not already present.

Hope this rambling helps.