Re: [orca-list] viavoice speaking and sound playing

Derek London wrote:
I'm using ubuntu 8.04, and gnome/orca 2.22.1 and am wondering how I
could get orca to still speak with viavoice while sound is playing. This
works with espeak, but not with viavoice. Noting that I didn't have to
do the suggested steps in the wiki to get sound and espeak to work
simultaneously, I figured I'd try and go through them anyway to see what
it would do in viavoice. p.s. not much... Is there another workaround
that someone might be able to tell me about?

Yes, you can use Speech Dispatcher, which is able to play sound through
alsa or pulse audio directly for any output module.  Another advantage
of using viavoice (ibmtts) over Speech Dispatcher is that you can
restart Speech Dispatcher without restarting Orca when the driver
crashes (yes, this happens with this synthesizer more than with
others...).  This should save you some headache.

See http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher for more information.

Best regards, Tomas