Re: [orca-list] Orca performance observations in Firefox

On 5/20/08, Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:
The following may help to illuminate the hitherto undiagnosed performance
problems which some have reported with Orca. These observations are with my
laptop.

Hardware: AMD Athlon64 CPU, 1.8ghz (ondemand CPU frequency governor in
effect,
therefore the CPU frequency is down at 800mhz for most, if not all, of the
Orca session).
Baum SuperVario 40 braille display (distributed by Humanware as Brailliant
40).

Software: Debian GNU/Linux, Orca 2.22.1, Gnome-speech 0.4.19, eSpeak 1.37,
, BRLTTY 3.10 (development), Firefox 3 beta 5 as packaged by Debian.

If I load an HTML document in Firefox and press the down arrow key very
rapidly a number of times, then stop, I find that the speech is often
several
lines behind what is presented on the braille display.

For this test, I have not increased the speech rate from the default.

It appears there is a delay, but that it is manifest in speech only, given
the above combination of hardware and software.

This doesn't affect me in practice, since my usage patterns don't involve
rapid movement with the cursor keys (I mostly use searching and structural
navigation instead). However, this may help to narrow down the causes of
what
others are experiencing.

High everyone, my name's Josh, and I'm from Illinios.  I just started
using the latest distribution of Ubuntu along with Firefox 3 Beta 5
and the distributions of Orca and all other software that came with
the release.  I have noticed that Orca does not seem to be able to
read HTML text.  It seems to work fine with the latest Firefox, but in
Evolution, it won't.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I have also
found that if I press the letter H to navigate to a heading, then give
Orca the command to read the entire document, it will only read the
heading title. Is there a way of correcting this?  Thanks a lot guys!