[orca-list] pulseaudio volume adjustment

Hello,

I am running fedora9 on a gateway desktop pc.
When in gnome, the volume level is extremely low. I turn the speakers up almost all the way, and it is still
hard to hear.

I checked the applications -> other -> pulse volume control and it says it is at 100%.
There is no volume control under system -> prefferences -> personal prefferences -> hardware control.

When I uninstall pulseaudio, the volume control under system -> prefferences ->  personal -> hardware allows
me to increase the volume adequately, but then if I want to listen to something using rhythmbox or totem,
orca goes silent.

Any suggestions on how to get arround this issue?