Re: [orca-list] Need Orca installation tip/guidelines

Ashis,

As for the braille requirements, as long as you have brltty 3.8 or later installed, and have the braille
display working in a console window, then you should be fine.

The effort involved in setting up a current version of gnome, in my experience is quite large.

I have been doing this (partly as a work assignment, but mostly on my own time), and have not yet been
successful.

If you do not need the absolute latest versions of everything then compiling
orca atk, at-spi and gail will get you up and running, however you miss out on a lot of the really nice
advancements made over the last year or so.

If you want to get the latest and greatest, the biggest stumbling block is that you need to update
gnome-session so that it will start the at-spi registry, and that involves a lot of dependencies.

I hope to get backto this work in a couple more weeks, but I needed a "stable" linux platform for some other
testing so I went with fedora 9 for now. I have been successful with ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 as well, but they
are not supported for the software I am testing.