Re: [orca-list] Orca and Administration in Ubuntu 8.04 steps.

greetings all,

On Wednesday, when I tried this first, adding the file to /root alone did not work.

The file needed to be in my users home directory.
I've absolutely no idea why.

I believe I might have the answer.

Sunday, I downloaded the audio file and gave it a listen.  When you were going through your configuration
profile Darragh, it sounded like the "disable GKSU-Keyboard Grab" checkbox was in the checked position.  I
ran into a similar problem when I first tried getting system administration working in gutsy.  If you return
this box to its default value of disabled you should just be able to "sudo " enter your password and orca
will speak fine without having to launch orca itself as root.

And as far as the chmod sudoers file goes, 777 is overkill even if you return it to 440 after.  No one other
than root ever needs to write to this file, and no one ever needs to exicute it (it's a text file;
non-exicutable).  So in my humble, novice opinion:

chmod 640 sudoers
edit
chmod 440 sudoers

would be a more responsible approach.

That being said, I do apreciate the time and effort you volunteer in producing these audio tutorials.  Even
with the written instructions, it does help sort of looking (or listening) over someones shoulder.  Your
original orca 7 tutorial helped me feel comfortable biting the bullet, and testing ubuntu.

No one is perfect; you are volunteering this service, and as you say in the mp3s, you are not an expert on
all things Ubuntu.  I hope you take this message at least as friendly critiquing and as you learn and gain
new experience, continue to provide this valuable service to the comunity.

:-)

Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.