From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Darragh
Sent: 19 May 2008 10:32
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] Orca and Administration in Ubuntu 8.04 steps.

After the configuring Orca walk through I recorded a few days ago, I've had a lot of questions regarding setting Orca up for administration in Ubuntu 8.04.  Thanks to Will's instructions on the Orca wikki, I've written some detailed steps for new users to follow.  These instructions as well as answers to a few other common questions I recieve are on my website at www.digitaldarragh.com

This process is not very difficult however I've been as descriptive here as possible to allow users who have listened to my configuring Orca in Ubuntu 8.04 walk through to access these commands in a more friendly format.

Go into a terminal. Press alt + F2, type gnome-terminal then press enter.
at the command prompt: ($) use the su command to change to the root user.
Firstly, install an easy to use text editor such as Nano / Pico.

apt-get install nano

If nano is not found, replace this with pico. These are escentially the same editors just different versions.
Create a .orbitrc file in your /root directory by typing the following:

nano /root/.orbitrc
Insert the following two lines into this file:

ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0
Save and exit this file. First press the key stroke: Control + x. When asked for the file name you want to save this as just press enter. Then press Control + C.
Change the permissions on this file so that only the root user can read and write to this file and the root group and all other users and groups can read it.

chmod 644 /root/.orbitrc
Turning our attention to /etc/sudoers, first allow write access to this file.

chmod 777 /etc/sudoers
Edit this file using nano by typing:

nano /etc/sudoers
Arrow down to the line containing the words: "env_reset". Just after this line, insert the text below:

Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"
Save and exit the file. Control + x, hit enter to accept the name /etc/sudoers. Hit control plluss c to quit.
type exit to return to your own user account.
Change to your home directory by typing:

cd
Create another .orbitrc file:

nano .orbitrc
Insert the following two lines into this file:

ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0
Save and exit this file. First press the key stroke: Control + x. When asked for the file name you want to save this as just press enter. Then press Control + C.
Change the permissions on this file so that only you can read and write to this file and the users group and all other users and groups can read it.

chmod 644 .orbitrc
Exit the terminal window by typing the exit command.
Log out of your session. Press alt f1, Press the right arrow twice, press up to quit then enter. Alt and l will activate the log out button or alternatively, tab over to it and press enter.
When you log in again, access an administration tool such as software sources by doing the following:
Press alt f2 and type gnome-terminal then hit enter.
Change to the root account by typing su then hit enter
Restart orca with root privlidges:

orca --no-setup --disable main-window
Orca will start and welcome you however will not speak yet. Press alt f1, left once, down twice, right once then up seven times to software sources and press enter. (Confused? ) Don't be. it's something you'll ge tuse to.
You will be prompted for your password. Type the same password as you used to log into the system.
You should now recieve feedback from orca.
To start orca normally again, press Alt+F2 and tyetype orca in the launch application dialogue box.

Addresshttp://www.digitaldarragh.com/2008/05/19/AllowingOrcaToWorkWithAdministrationToolsInUbuntuHardy804.aspx

Hope that helps

Darragh
www.digitaldarragh.com