Re: [orca-list] Another Suggestion for OpenOffice/Orca Improvement

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:16:11PM -0700, Peter Korn wrote:

Separately, I just took a "Hands on Lab" class at the recent JavaOne
conference, where I learned about writing OpenOffice.org extensions -
specifically Java using NetBeans.  One option for folks wanting more
vi/emacs-style (or WordPerfect style, for that matter) keyboard gestures
would be to write an OOo Writer extension to encapsulate just that
functionality.  This should be a far easier task that trying to modify
the actual OOo codebase itself.

It is also worth noting that this has already been done in Firefox, for
example:
http://vimperator.mozdev.org/
gives Vi-style key bindings. Unfortunately these will conflict with some of
the keys that Orca uses for Navigation, at least by default, and Orca will get
those key events first.