Re: [orca-list] Another Suggestion for OpenOffice/Orca Improvement

On 18/05/2008, Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson <jbsn tpg com au> wrote:
Greetings,

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:06:37AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
This suggestion may seem wacky, but I am most earnest. So, I articulate
my thought here wondering whether I'm alone in my insanity.

hi janina, this is not insanity.  this is pure scientific idea and
much much better even for sited people.  and for those of you who are
mouse users, mind you, if you try to compeet with emacs or vim users
you loos the race by a mile.

I would dearly love to "gene splice" OpenOffice && { vim | emacs }

Since I've been a vim user mostly, I'll make my examples vim specific.
But, the same would hold for emacs.

very true janina.
Having now worked with Orca and OpenOffice (off and on) for the better
part of a year, I still find myself hampered by the inherently
mouse-oriented "highlight and click" nature of the editing process. I'm
sure it's great for mouse users, but it's [expletive deleted] for me.
read my comments above.
Yes, I feel pretty strong about this.

me too.  and by the way for things like text selection and copy paist
etc the words, and characters and lines are presise when you know what
you are doing so why hav the ability of doing it with mouse in the
first place.  this is no drawing work where every picksell makes a
difference.  here when I know I have to delete 4 lines it means delete
4 lines.  one need not cound the number of piksells going to be
altered just like we need in drawing softwares.
having used both emacs and vim, I find that they are extremly
scientific and much more user friendly and quick and productive to
work with.
I know I know, shift and arrows does the trick for keyboard users but
when even better techniques are already present in other softwares,
why not use it?
after reading your ideas janina, I do get a feeling some times that
gui and related softwares have to a very great extent spoilt the
generation of computer users.
this change however will most likely not happen unless the open office
developers really build up that mindset to do some thing very
different but very useful at the same time.

If I want to delete one, or maybbe 4 lines, I have to carefully
highlight that block before deleting in OpenOffice. In vim I simply do
d$, or dd, or d4d, depending.
If the OO people could be persuaded to provide a few more shortcut keys,
the problem would be solved. We all have our favourite editors. I use
Wordperfect for DOS through dosemu, and it works perfectly - within its
limitations. One good feature is that you can hit alt-f4, and when you
well, the point is not our favorite editor.  but as janina suggested,
vim or emacs, the point is why have mouce driven features where they
are not needed.  and I would add even sited people will bennifit.

move your cursor the text becomes highlighted. it's a very useful
feature for copying to clipboard, cutting and pasting and moving blocks
of text around. It would, however, be pretty handy for brailly users to
be able to use shft+cursor-routing keys to highlight text that way, just
as you can do shft+end and highlight a whole line.
nice idea.

Bertil
happy hacking.
KK