[orca-list] pulseaudio doesn't work on desktop

i can get hardy to work with both speech and audio on my compaq laptop just as was suggested when i was told to select pulsesync in the gnome sound preferences. however pulseaudio isn't recognised on my desktop which is an e-machine as it said that pulseaudio was not supported or it came up with some message about not supporting it when i selected pulsesync from the list of sound devices. when i tried using alsa orca came up with some message about being unable to do sound mixing and to select a sound server or something like that because my sound card was tied up with using orca and espeak.