[orca-list] No SPeech with Hardy

I updated to hardy last week via SSH from my windows box.  After updating, orca will not generate speech. It starts when you type orca, but never speaks and if you start it from the terminal, no message is sent to standard output; it just sits there till you press control+c. It does report its version when you ask (2.23.0 I think it said). I had someone look to see if accessibility support was enabled from the GUI and it does appear to be.

Any suggestions on what to look at now? I have no idea.
-- Rich