Re: [orca-list] talking gdm

Daniel Dalton writes:
Is there a way to get the gdm log in screen to speak?

There's supposed to be, but it's currently broken with the newer GDM I'm
running for Fedora 9. I've just this morning written the GDM list to ask
what's up with that.

What you should have:

*       Beep when you backspace on Login and Passwd. This works with my
*       older Fedora 8 using gdm-2.20.3.

*       A beep when GDM throws up the Login screen, or the ability to
*       specify an audio file to play instead in your
*       /etc/gdm/custom.conf. Here's the relevant section from my Fedora
*       8 system mentioned above:

[greeter]
# If SoundOnLogin is true, then the greeter will beep when login is
# ready
# for user input.  If SoundOnLogin is a file and the greeter finds the
# 'play' executable (see daemon/SoundProgram) it will play that file
# instead of just beeping
SoundOnLogin=true
SoundOnLoginFile=/boot/gdm.wav

*       The ability to use gestures to start Orca for your GDM, i.e.
*       Ctrl-S for speech, Ctrl-b for braille, Ctrl-m for magnification.
*       This has worked sometimes for me in the past, but never
*       reliably. It is not working anywhere for me at the moment.

Also, as mentioned, none of these are working on Fedora 9 which is using
gdm-2.22.0.

Janina

Thanks,

--