Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu Hardy Install Instructions (Re: updating wiki?)

Hi All:

I just want to get this out before I lose my notes. I just went through an accessible install of Hardy using Orca and then also got the sysadmin apps working on the installed system. Quick notes, and these are basically just a compilation of the stuff that's already been posted to this list (i.e., I cannot take credit):

INSTALL:

1) Download the iso from http://cdimages.ubuntu.com. I grabbed the latest daily-live from a day or two ago. Burn it, boot it.

2) When the CD stops whirring in the drive, press return. You'll have just selected the "English" keyboard layout. I don't know of an accessible way to select a different layout right now.

3) Press F5 to select the accessibility setup, then press 3 to select the screen reader option. Press return to exit the accessibility setup.

4) Press the down arrow to select the install option and press return. The installer will come up and orca will be running.

5) Install your system - the installer could use some scripting to make things a bit more guided via orca, but for now just tab around to explore the windows.

6) Reboot. When the system comes back up, you need to log in (silently), and Orca will automatically run when your desktop session comes up.

SYS ADMIN:

1) Create root's ~/.orbitrc file (/root/.orbitrc, with and owner.group of root.root with a mode of 644 on my system):

ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0

2) Edit /etc/sudoers to add the following line after the line with "env_reset" in it:

Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"

Everything else seems to have been taken care of by Luke and Ubuntu (thanks Luke!), at least for my decrepit Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop.

Will

Willie Walker wrote:
Hi All:

I've just created http://live.gnome.org/action/edit/Orca/UbuntuHardy, which is a place holder for some kind soul to add details on how to download and install Hardy using Orca.

If someone in the community has had good success with this, please contribute your experiences and expertise by filling out the page.

Thanks!

Will

aerospace1028 hotmail com wrote:
I just double checked the wiki where it describes running orca from an Ubuntu live cd. It says that when you get to the desktop if orca doesn't start speeking to reboot and try again. Could someone maybe slip in some simple instructions on how to launch orca manually through the run dialog if orca fails to start by default? It might save some confusion for newcomers to orca/ubuntu. Thank you:-)