Re: [orca-list] Orca with OpenSuSE 10.3

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 08:59:36PM -0400, Mike Gorse wrote:

That's assuming that gnome-speech was built with support for espeak.
Gnome-speech in OpenSUSE wasn't, so I wound up building it from source.

I think that's an OpenSuse bug. They should, at a minimum, support eSpeak as a
separate gnome-speech package, if not by default in the main package.
Using speech-dispatcher is another option, but it isn't part of OpenSUSE,
either (unless it is in some extra repository somewhere).

Trying to install a Fedora rpm is the kind of alternative that might work, but
which is more likely to fail with dependency problems.

In general, if the required packages aren't available for your distribution,
you'll need to build from source as Mike did. Alternatively, lodge a bug
report with the distributor and wait... Or build the packages yourself and
help the distribution by making the rebuilt/modified/new packages available
for inclusion in a future release.