Re: [orca-list] miscellaneous Orca comments

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:48:40AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
Jason White writes:
... All that is
necessary is to make access to gnome-terminal work reliably and efficiently,
which is exactly the same problem as making any other application accessible.

Until such time would you agree users should be directed to use the
things that work today?

Yes, unless they're actively working on the bugs.

Just to clarify an additional point, I am not personally planning to run
terminal applications extensively from Gnome-terminal; my only point is that I
think the use cases for it are legitimate, and it shouldn't be difficult to
make this work reliably. If I found myself working in X applications most of
the time, then this assessment might change for reasons of integration.

Another example would involve running Vi or Emacs under X during a Gnome
session, for example as an external editor invoked by e-mail software. I know
that Claws-mail can spawn your preferred editor, and that it is regarded by
experienced users as competitive with Mutt, Alpine and other console-level
tools, so if access to it becomes important then it will be desirable for
users to be able to run their favourite editors seamlessly within Gnome,
including console-based Vi and Emacs sessions.

Integration with emacspeak is a separate issue that I have discussed in an
earlier contribution to this thread.