Re: [orca-list] miscellaneous Orca comments

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:15:56PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
Or is gedit more of an editor than I think it is?

Apparently not, so far as I could find out from examining it (including the
help document) in Orca.
What's the gedit equivalent of:
[List of powerful Vi commands omitted]

I think the competition for Vi and Emacs is more likely to come from projects
such as this:
http://www.activestate.com/company/newsroom/press/2008_03_06_0

Note the Vi and Emacs key bindings, the regular expression searches, etc. As I
recall, Eclipse has similar features, though perhaps only available in
extensions.

Since Komodo Edit is based on Mozilla, it would be possible, I suspect, to
make it accessible with Orca, though there would probably be a lot of work
involved.

Personally, though, I think Emacs and Vi are the right tools for the task of
editing text files, and will remain so for a long time to come. I wouldn't use
Komodo Edit or Eclipse even if they were accessible.

I'm still considering lodging an Orca bug report about gvim, as it's a
Gnome-based application (though not part of Gnome) and superior to gedit.