[orca-list] all right, who broke it (sound in hardy)

Hey all, anyone else have any sound problems after yesterday's updates? I downloaded updates for Hardy last night, and when I rebooted, I have no sound at all (system or other). I tried reloading orca, having a sighted person locate and try to play an mp3, and also loading a video game (asteroids) which I know has loads of sound. Other weird thing, on my desktop, the volume control shows up, and shows everything at max levels. On my laptop, which has the same updates, there is an X over the volume control, with the message "no gstreamer plugin or devices". Any help resolving this, would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks much in advance,

Guy