[orca-list] Installing speech-dispatcher in OpenSuSE

Hello all,

I tried this a while ago but had no joy.  Hopefully I'll get further with
it this time.

Firstly, the error I'm getting while trying to run spd-say is as follows:
client:  speech dispatcher failed to open: connection refused.

The festival server is running.  I was able to telnet to it.
speech-dispatcher is running.  I ran it with the -d option.
It is creating logs in /var/log/speech-dispatcher.
I've changed /usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf so the default
module is festival.
I've installed the Festival freebsoft utils.   At least, I hope I did.  I
coppied the required file extensions over to the festival directory.
/usr/share/festival/

Do you have any ideas as to why this isn't working for me?

Thanks

Here is a breakdown of the process so far.

yast -i dotconf
wget
http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd//speech-dispatcher-0.6rc2.tar.gz
wget
http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/festival-freebsoft-utils/festival-freebsoft-utils-0.8.tar.gz
tar xzvf festival*
tar xzvf speech-dispatcher*
cd festival*
cp *.scm* /usr/share/festival/
cd ..
cd speech-dispatcher*
./configure
make
make install
cd
wget
http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd-up/speechd-up-0.4.tar.gz tar
xzvf speechd-up*
./configure
make
make install
ldconfig
/etc/init.d/festival start
chkconfig -add festival
mkdir /var/log/speech-dispatcher
speech-dispatcher -d
edit /usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
extract from help documentation:
Go to `/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf' or similar (it might be
`/usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf' if you install from
sources) and edit the lines AddModule, DefaultModule and
LanguageDefaultModule for your chosen synthesizer. If you want to run
Festival, just substitute 'Flite' for 'Festival' in the last two options.

spd-say "hello world"
Fails with error.

Thanks

Darragh