Re: [orca-list] Firefox3 and sayAll broken with latest trunk update

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:08:27PM +0100, Hermann wrote:
We had this issue about one year ago, and there were heated discussions
that ended up with the decission not to use virtualisation at all.

        I'm not sure I mean virtualization, per-se'.  I'm thinking more
        about better intercommunication between the browser and screen
        reader, regardless of make and plateform.  Standardizing the way
        future software can communicate with assistive technologies via
        something like Microsoft's DDE, or Dynamic Data Exchange.  I'm
        thinking of something like:

1) You press the Tab key.

2) the screen reader notes the key, sees it's not one of it's
        own keys and passes it to Firefox.

3) Firefox cursors to the next link and reports to the screen reader
        what    kind of object is currently highlighted and what is
        printed

        Firefox could be left pretty-much as is, as everything could be
implemented in the GTK libraries and Orca could just phaze in   the new
routines, or linked into more specialized libraries for each piece of
soft or hardware., much like modules.  Right now, there seems to be this
major war going on to get two pieces of software to work together (Orca
and Firefox), and I'm thinking we're going to have this battle for each
and every program out there.  I sincerely believe there needs to be a
translator between the two "interfaces," I guess you would call it.  I
sincerely believe there should be a unified assistive technology
language that can be implemented with the least hassle possible.
Concentrate on makeing the libraries aware of the new communications
standard and everything else should just fall right into place without
affecting currently written software.  Just add a couple extra variables
to the end of the current library routines and you kill four birds with
one stone.  (I also think it should be don at the X11 level, rather than
at the Gnome level of things.)

                        Michael