[orca-list] Slightly OT: running gnome as root

Hi,
I want to play with some gnome system admin apps...I haven't had much
success getting  orca to read them when not logged in as root, and when
I try to login as root, something won't start...I run startx, and the X
server starts normally, but whenever I press a key everything
terminates...I've determined this has something to do with gnome (I've
changed the default X windo manager to something else (XDM) and it
starts normally...I'm using slackware 12.0, gnome 2.20.3
(gnome.slackbuild) with gnome being started via xinit using
gnome-session.  Does anyone know where I should look for settings to try
and get it to let me in as root? I know it's insecure, but these are all
test boxes and I really don't care about security on them.
thanks for any help...