Re: [orca-list] recommended text to speech engine other the ne-speak

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 02:04 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
Michael Whapples writes:
Hello,
Any of the commercial synths you will be restricted to what
architectures they have binaries for. I think Viavoice on Linux is only
i386 (so I think applies to both voxin and ttsynth). I think dectalk is
available for x86-64 platforms. I don't know about cesptral.

True. However, it doesn't follow that the i386 software will not work on
x86_64. In fact it does. I'm using it now.
I thought I may have heard that before, its that I don't have an x86_64
to do this with and Alonzo had indicated that as voxin was for i386 it
might not work on his x86_64, so I was going with what someone who
actually has one was saying. Could you just clear a few things up (I
certainly am wondering about it):
When you are running i386 software on you x86_64 machine I believe that
it is through some sort of compatibility mode? Does this mean that you
need to be running an i386 distribution or can the i386 support work
from inside an x86_64 distribution (IE. can you have a mix of x86_64 and
i386 software running on the one system)? Does running i386 software on
your x86_64 machine mean that you loose some of the advantages of your
x86_64?

Michael Whapples

PS: This circumstance isn't unique. It happens that the x86_64 Firefox
isn't working with Orca (as I've previously reported). Consequently, I
use the i386 Firefox on my x86_64 system.

Janina