Re: [orca-list] just wondering why inflection of espeak is not good in orca?

hi wili,

On 18/06/2008, Willie Walker <William Walker sun com> wrote:
Hi Krishnakant:

I don't know why the prosody and/or fundamental frequency contour might
be any different.  Can you given an example sentence that demonstrates
the issue?
Yes, you got it right that's exactly the issue, Prosody is not coming
right when used espeak with orca.  and the fundamental frequency
contour is not properly manipulated.
there is a streight reason for this IMHO.  I used espeak from the
terminal and gave it some short and long sentences to read and the
inflection is at the same level of orca.  this means that espeak by
default is set to 50% inflection.  this is because I manipulated
emacspeak and nvda as well and when inflection is set to 50% in nvda
for example, the tone is same as with orca.  so we are taking default
value and not changing it.  secondly since nvda provides the option to
change the inflection with espeak, it means espeak has some parameters
which nvda or emacspeak manipulate.  orca can obviously do the same.

In addition, can you try running the 'espeak' command from
the command line with the sentence to see if the problem shows up there?

as mentioned I did run and the inflection is not absolutely robotic
but not good enough.  infact it is same as we get when espea is run
with orca.
I'm not sure about a female voice for eSpeak.  These voices are listed
as 'variants' for eSpeak, but they are not being exposed via the
gnome-speech driver as far as I can tell.  I'm also not sure how to
determine the available variants via a method call and I'm CC'ing the
eSpeak folks on this mail in hopes they might be able to help.

let's hope for the best.
Will

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.
Krishnakant Mane wrote:
hello,
I just happened to see my friend use nvda on windows and espeak had
good inflection level with that free screen reader.
why espeak is not to its full inflection capacity with orca?
as a side note, a few days back I used emacspeak with espeak and found
that espeak had good inflection tone.
secondly I want to use female voices of espeak with orca, can some one
guide me how I can go about it.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.