[orca-list] No speech with Orca after voice change

Good evening,

I have been trying to get the Cepstral Swift David voice to work on my system and have somehow disabled speech, or at least lost speech.

Short question.  Is there a way for me to reset the default speech synthisizer without sighted assistance?

Longer question, can anyone running Ubuntu (preferrably 8.04) help me with getting Swift working?  Here is what I've done.

1. Installed Swift into /usr/local/swift
2. Edited /etc/ld.so.conf adding /usr/local/swift/lib to the end of the file
3. Ensured that the package gnome-speech-swift was installed.
4. Tested with padsp swift "Hello World" it was working.
5. Restarted computer and selected Swift and Default voice on the Orca speech page and clicked apply.
6. Speech completely stopped working, even after a restart of Ubuntu.

Any assistance appreciated,
Everett