[orca-list] Losing Place in Thunderbird

I'm using Thunderbird a bit and one thing that is really bugging me is if I go and read several messages particularly if I delete some along the way and go onto the next and finally hit escape key to get back to the inbox, I expect to remain focused on the message I was just reading. Instead, it keeps taking me way back up the list, maybe some 20 messages or so. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I will mess with it some more and see if I escape out after each single message; that might hold the place better.