Re: [orca-list] can't start Orca

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Albert E. Sten-Clanton wrote:

I've tried logging in via gnome.  I can't tell if I actually am logging in, but something happens, since the
hard drive spins.  Pressing alt-f2, waiting, and typing orca (or Orca) does nothing, with or without the -t.

I forget exactly how, but I was led to see if gdmsetup might help.  That command results only in the message
"(gdmsetup:2750):Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".

Are you running gdmsetup from GNOME or from a console? If the latter, then perhaps $DISPLAY isn't set.

I did try setting the DISPLAY variable manually, using an example from one of my books and the one I got by
way of the set command while in a terminal in ubuntu.

Did you export the variable? Ie:
export DISPLAY=:0

Also, I'm curious if orca is logging anything to stdout/stderr when run from GNOME. If you can read files in the console, then you might try pressing alt-f2 from GNOME and entering something like
orca >~/orca.log 2>&1
and then you'll have a log file in your home directory which may or may not contain useful information.

Hth,
-Mike G-