To: "orca-list" <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Using gnome on a remote system

Sounds like what is needed, but the website seems to not have any remote
access bridge stuff. I think I know Sina from another list, so will try
and make contact there.

From
Michael Whapples
On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 14:33 -0800, Peter Korn wrote:
Hi Michael,

Sina Bahram and Mike Grace at NC State University developed the Remote Access Bridge for just this purpose, and used Orca (among others) to provide access to a remote Unix system, with the local system being typically but not necessarily a Windows system. The presented a talk on this at CSUN last March. It looks like their website http://www.remoteaccessbridge.com/ is rather sparse, though it was updated just last month.
I believe Sina hangs out in the Blinux mailing list.

The basics of how it works: you use a Java client to initiate an ssh connection to the remote host. On that ssh connection, the bridge will tunnel both a VNC connection for the visual desktop, an audio connection for non-speech audio, and a speech connection using SSML for the strings that are to be uttered. The Java client connects the VNC connection to a local VNC client on your desktop, routes the audio to the speaker, and connects the SSML to any of a variety of local text-to-speech engines (including MS SAPI). Orca is running on the remote desktop, and uses the SpeechDispatcher support for generating the SSML.

I have only played with this a little bit - no serious banging on it so I can't report back on stability. But certainly what I saw was pretty responsive and quite cool.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.