Re: [orca-list] Using gnome on a remote system

Hi Michael,

Sina Bahram and Mike Grace at NC State University developed the Remote Access Bridge for just this purpose, and used Orca (among others) to provide access to a remote Unix system, with the local system being typically but not necessarily a Windows system. The presented a talk on this at CSUN last March. It looks like their website http://www.remoteaccessbridge.com/ is rather sparse, though it was updated just last month.
I believe Sina hangs out in the Blinux mailing list.

The basics of how it works: you use a Java client to initiate an ssh connection to the remote host. On that ssh connection, the bridge will tunnel both a VNC connection for the visual desktop, an audio connection for non-speech audio, and a speech connection using SSML for the strings that are to be uttered. The Java client connects the VNC connection to a local VNC client on your desktop, routes the audio to the speaker, and connects the SSML to any of a variety of local text-to-speech engines (including MS SAPI). Orca is running on the remote desktop, and uses the SpeechDispatcher support for generating the SSML.

I have only played with this a little bit - no serious banging on it so I can't report back on stability. But certainly what I saw was pretty responsive and quite cool.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Hello,
I am asking this question on the behalf of someone else. Is it possible
to use gnome on a remote server and have accessibility? This question
can extend to either accessing the server from a windows client or a
unix client. If it is possible what would the setup need to be? Would
orca be run locally or on the server (assuming the client is running
gnome as well)? If orca is to also be run on the remote system, how does
the spoken output get output on the client machine? I know that previous
question depends on a lot, eg. if the synth is on the local machine or
server, if the synth is remote, how does the output from the synth get
to the client audio device, if synth local, how does orca pass the text
to the synth?

I know there is quite a lot to this, but I don't know this area of
remote desktops too well as I have only used remote machines through
text based connections and speakup (locally) or I guess orca (locally)
could read the output from ssh without a problem. The access to gnome I
believe is more complicated and possibly more likely to not work quite
as one might excpect.

Thank you

Michael Whapples