Re: [orca-list] ATSPI Regestry

Are you still trying to log in using "gdm?" I have never gotten that to work. What works for me is to not have a ".xsession" file in my home directory. First, as root, I run "xwmconfig." This sets the system-wide window manager. I then make sure it's set to Gnome. This should only need to be done once, and may not even be necessary after a fresh install of Dropline as you did. Next, before trying to start X, Speech Dispatcher must already be running since you've chosen it as your default speech system. I have added a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that starts up speech-dispatcher. If you are using Festival, you would also want to start the Festival server. In my case, I have it start, then I have Speech-dispatcher start. Once you know they are running, try typing "startx" from a normal text terminal. X should start up, you should get the Gnome startup sound, and should give Orca another shot. BTW, you can set things up so that Orca comes up automatically. To do this, assuming you've got Orca talking, hit alt-f1 to get to the menus, then left arrow to get to the system menu. Navigate to the "preferences" menu, hit right arrow, and select the "preferred applications" option. This brings up a dialog with several tabs. Go to the "accessibility" tab, make sure that Orca is set for your default visual application, which it probably is, then check the box that says "run at startup." Then, go over to the "close" button and hit it. This should set up things so that Orca comes up at startup. From then on, you just type "startx" when you want to use Gnome, and select the "log out" option from the system menu when you are through. This will actually return you to the command prompt from which you started X.