[orca-list] Setting up SD was: Re: I think my installed Ubuntu and Orca is just plain unstable!

am So 17. Feb 2008 um 21:57:54 schrieb Bob Tinney <tinneyb charter net>:
I now have speech with speech dispatcher and ESpeak, but none of the gnome
speech drivers work and I can't bring up the orca preferences and orca -t
doesn't work either.  I've lost access to my viavoice synth, but I can now
play music and use orca at the same time.

I want to ask you to be a bit more precise in reporting problems: What
happens when you want to access Orca preferences or call orca -t?
Regarding your IBM synths: You must edit the following 2 files:
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
and
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ibmtts.conf
In the first one you have to load the module and make sure it is the
default module as well as the language default module, if you prefere
Viavoice.
In the second file you do the fine tuning for that module. Please read
the comment lines in both files carefully.
When ready, restart SD and Orca and try again.
Note: When using SD, there are no Gnome speech drivers in use.
Perhaps you would prefere to use Gnome-speech with Alsa: See Daniel's
posting. But remember to make a copy of the mentioned Bonobo-server file.
Hermann

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)