Re: [orca-list] Orca Completely Broken!

Hi Steve:

We'll get you out of this (I hope). Here's some stuff you can try, and I'd do them in this order. Of course, you should remember to back up anything before you delete it, so I didn't mention that here:

0) Make sure accessibility is enabled for your gnome-session. From your mail, it sounds like this step is OK.

1) Depending upon how you are starting X, you might need to set GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge and you may also need to make sure at-spi-registryd is running. Logging in via gdm accomplishes this -- I'm not sure if startx is going to do so unless you have the right stuff set up for startx.

2) Make sure DISPLAY is set to your X Server (likely DISPLAY=:0). Orca cannot provide access to a session if it cannot find it.

3) Rebuild/install orca from a fresh pull from SVN trunk. Don't pull into an existing area -- pull into a brand new directory.

4) Run bonobo-slay and then restart your X server. This will kill any errant at-spi-registryd and bonobo things that might be causing issues. Rebooting should accomplish the same thing, but that's a bit excessive.

5) rm -rf ~/.orca -- this will blow away any corrupted orca settings that might be causing issues.

6) You can try "rm -rf ~/.gconf* ~/.gnome*" to trash GNOME settings that might be causing issues.

If possible, you can also join us in the #orca IRC chat room of irc.gnome.org for more live debugging.

Will