Re: [orca-list] shortcuts to accesibility bar

* Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis googlemail com> [080211 10:12]:
I personally would prefere a navigation of its own for Orca.
The accessibility bar is a neat tool, but I think it is not designed
for blind or visually impaired users mainly, but for website
developers. Its purpose seems to anylyse a webpage.

That contradicts ICITA's own description of the extension:

"The Mozilla/Firefox Accessibility Extension makes it easier for people
with disabilities to view and navigate web content. Developers can use
the extension to check their use of structural and styling markup that
support functional web accessibility."

http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu/

See your quotings and take a look at the structure of the toolbar, and
you'll see my opinion confirmed.

If there's a problem with the toolbar from an end-user perspective or a
feature you'd like, it would be entirely appropriate to make ICITA aware
of it by reporting it in their bug tracker:

http://www.disability.uiuc.edu/ita/dwatt/phpbt/

You're right, but the addition of shortcuts for the accessibility
toolbar wasn't my idea.

So what about creating a navigation interface similar to these of
Window Eyes. You have one navigation window, where you deside which
element you want to list, and you see additional options according what
element it is.

What's the advantage of the "one navigation window" over going straight
to a window concerned with the element you want to list?

OK, we can have several shortcuts for the listing of several elements,
for example like in Jaws. But be sure that the very same discussion will
start, as we had it about one year ago: Don't bloat Orca! etc.
My intention is to keep things simple. Just check the webpage navigation
in WE, and you know what I mean.

Also, if there is an advantage to such a window, why could this not be
added to a Firefox extension?

As I stated above, keep it simple. The screen reader should do the whole
job of making a computer useful for a blind or visually impaired person.
Why developing all that nice and handy features in Orca, when this all
could be done by one or several extensions? And what about all other
programs ...?
Hermann