Re: [orca-list] Vibuntu the most accessible Ubuntu Linux live cd for theVisually Impaired EVA III

Hello,
A few comments:
* For who you aim it at and for where it starts (ubuntu) it could be very good, obviously this won't be everyone. * So long as it is kept clear that it starts from ubuntu those who may be are more advanced with linux may not be so upset as I get the feeling they may very well have made decisions about distros (talking personally I wouldn't use a ubuntu based system as ubuntu doesn't give me what I want, IE. it isn't vibuntu I have the problem with it is ubuntu, but as vibuntu is a modified ubuntu then...). * Is it the most accessible Linux, probably not, it depends where the user comes from. May be it is so for a Windows user but I have heard (and can believe now) that a blind person starting from scratch actually might pick up the command line quicker, in which case GRML is an excellent accessible LiveCD (possibly the best). GRML and ubuntu (Vibuntu) are very different and so I wouldn't say even compete with each other (both personally and in the way that they are aimed at different user groups).

I also question who really are the people you need to convince about Linux being a good accessible alternative. For the VI user there is a great incentive, the cost (although NVDA (www.nvda-project.org) could help the windows user in that respect). Probably more importantly is those who teach VI users about computers, if they understand the system then they can teach it, and most importantly they need to know it even exists.

The only system I believe which has tried to do what Vibuntu is meant to do, is oralux. I don't know what it is like now, but it had start up scripts to set up the LiveCD with the environment you would want (with speech feed back throughout). Have you looked at it?

Michael Whapples