Re: [orca-list] Vibuntu Press Release

Ken, I agree with what you have said, the but as you state - it is 'skilled
users' that are able to do such things, not beginners  who have never heard
of or tried Linux. I am not trying to steal anyones thunder, because my
target audience is different to yours - I am aiming at schools, colleges and
institutions which need accessible software but cannot afford expensive
commercial products and don't have staff who have used Linux themselves. This
is the very specific niche at which this distro is aimed - and I challenge
you to use Orca with any admin apps on the ubuntu 8.04/8.10 desktop without
making complicated changes and/or knowing how to use the terminal. I still
maintain that this is the first Linux live CD to be accessible to sighted,
blind and partially sighted users out of the box with no prior experience of
linux. I agree that 99% of the credit for this lies with Gnome, Orca, Compiz
and Ubuntu, probably in that order. All I have done is make a few small but
significant changes which Ubuntu could have done if they wanted, but they
didn't and neither has anyone else to my knowledge. Again send me a link to
an iso which is as easy to use for novices out of the box and I will abandon
the project, because I don't believe in wasting my time reinventing the
wheel, its just that all the wheels out their seem to be round and I want a
square one! ;)

I appreciate you thoughts, and welcome this kind of discussion, if you are
correct then there is no need for a Vibuntu type distro and the project will
fail.

I have taken the liberty of posting these communications on the Orca, Ubuntu
and Gnome mailing lists as I would like to open this debate up to the wider
community.

Keep in Touch

Drbongo