[orca-list] brltty trunk and orca

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone who has used brltty trunk would mind sharing
their experience.
brltty has recently included unicode to braille mappings in the braille
tables, and I wanted to try this out.

I did the following:
Sudo apt-get install bison # for yacc support
sudo apt-get --purge remove brltty # one package removed
svn checkout svn://mielke.cc/main/brltty
cd brltty/
./autogen
./configure
make
sudo make install
login as root, and start brltty.
brltty, 3.11dev, rev 3918
braille is working fine from virtual terminals.
when switching to XWindows, the braille display says "screen not in text
mode.", which is as expected.

Now, i want to varify that orca is working with brltty, so using a
gnome-terminal (for display access) again, as root, I started xbrlapi:
xbrlapi &

The display now reads "unknown".
I press alt+f2 (because i want to start orca separately)
and to my amazement i can read "Run Application". On the other hand what
i type is not made available.
and in the run window i type "orca", orca starts as usual, but orca is
not taking control of the braille display.
I made sure that orca braille support was enabled.
When focusing gedit (with or without orca), the braille display reads:
"Unsaved Document , - gedit", again typed strings are not shown.

What step have i missed out, or what additional info can i provide?
starting python, and typing "import brlapi" gives no errors.

Your advice is greatly welcome

(Ubuntu gutsy, trunk atk, gail, at-spi, orca rev 4098).

Thanks,

-Jon