Re: [orca-list] Does anyone know of a program for backing upa computer that works with orca?

Hermann is correct. You should ever only try to use any of these tools
on a system not currently running.

However, if you're going to use dd, it's quite possible the system
you're backing up isn't running. For instance, this is true if you dual
boot. When you boot into Linux, your Win partition is not running and
you can safely back it up with dd.

If the machine you're backing up has but one OS on its hd, you do need
to boot from some other mechanism, pxe, cd-rom, usb stick, etc.. But, this
still doesn't eliminate good old dd from the range of available tools
that can properly do the job.

Janina

Hermann writes:
Janina Sajka wrote:
Yes, indeed. The obvious logical next step is to combine the imaging and
compression into a single command.

I think the problem is not what program you use, it might be dd as well
as any useful program, such as partimage, which I prefer.
The main problem however is that you cannot backup a working system,
e.g. you have to unmount your partition. before storing a backup.
And this brings back the original suggestion of using rescue CDs. My
favorite is:
http://grml.org
which uses a text Linux by default.
It comes with Speakup, so it can be used by people that do not own a
braille display.
Sorry of being OT to a certain extend, but I want to add these notes.
Hermann

--

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.202.595.7777;        sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC      http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility       janina a11y org
Linux Foundation                http://a11y.org