Re: [orca-list] Accessing Admin Tools with Orca

Hello,

Is anyone able to access admin/root tools successfully with Orca? I tried the .orbitrc tip on the web site
but still when I open the gdmsetup application, it does not speak.

two things.

1: What gnu/linux distribution are you running? (ubuntu8.04, open SuSE, Solaris, etc)  Some recent
distributions also require a modification to the sudoers file.  Directions to the steps are provided on the
wiki under the ubuntu hardy page.  (I notice that under the doc index, this page is not listed.  Is there a
reason for that?)

2: To my knowledge, after system administration is propperly established, 'gdmsetup" is still inaccessible.
Someone with more expertese than I will be needed to explain why.  Can you run any other admin tools?

Also - I attempted to set up the accessible login stuff but holding down ctrl+s for a second doesn't work as
expected. Something happens, because when I hit backspace I don't hear the gdm login prompt beep but there
is no speech.

I'm not sure what's going on here.  Did you remember to add gdm to the audio permissions group?  When you ran
the gdmflexiserver command, what was the output?  I mis-typed something once, and the command didn't print an
error, it just displayed a command prompt.  If gdmflexiserver exicutes successfully, it should print "O.K."
before returning to the command prompt.

The only other thing I can think of, is to check /etc/gdm/modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents, and ensuring that
launching orca with speach is pre-defined.  (Or, I change the one second requirement to any press of CTRL+s
by changing 1000 miliseconds to 0).

I hope this is of some help:-)

Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger.  Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/messenger?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_yahoo_082008