Re: [orca-list] network-admin and wireless config

Hi Christopher,
I had difficulties to configure my wireless network card in ubuntu hardy.

The first problem was that ubuntu didn't recognize my wireless card.

The second problem was that I couldn't configure my wireless network to use WPA encryption.

I found a solution to my first  problem in the following URL:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware .

I found a workaround to my second problem changing the configuration in my wireless router so that it doesn't use authentication. My connection is open but I tell to my router the MAC addresses that can connect to it.

Another step that I took was substitute network-manager by WICD. It seems that WICD can handle wireless connection better than network-manager.

You can read information about wicd in the following URL:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

In my opinion the accessibility of WICD isn't very good but it it is possible to use the program using the orca's flat review mode.

Christopher Moore wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to connect to my wireless network using network-admin.  Orca
shows the "wireless not configured" message, but I can't figure out how
to get into the configuration screens.
Has anyone done this with Orca?

tia
Chris