Re: [orca-list] Need help with gnome-speech.

Odd. Looks fine to me. The missing-prototype thing you're seeing is a switch being sent to the compiler. I'd suggest trying gnome-speech-0.4.21, thhough:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gnome-speech/0.4/gnome-speech-0.4.21.tar.bz2

Here's a summary of the changes from 0.4.16 to 0.4.21:

gnome-speech 0.4.17:

* Fix for bug 503058 - Swift driver build failure on Solaris.  With
  this fix, Cepstral/Swift works on Solaris Express Community Edition
  build 79.

gnome-speech 0.4.18:

* Fix for bug 508439 - Gnome speech Espeak driver will not compile
  with Espeak 1.30 (Thanks David Csercsics!!)

gnome-speech 0.4.19:

* configure.in: be smarter about automatically finding espeak

* drivers/espeak/Makefile.am: remove libstdc++.  It is not needed
  and makes the Solaris build fail.

gnome-speech 0.4.20:

* drivers/espeak/*: fix for bug 535493 - eSpeak driver can
  block.  The fix adds a list mechanism to handle utterances
  to be spoken and then processes them on the gidle thread.
  Also raised the maximum speech rate for eSpeak.

gnome-speech 0.4.21:

* drivers/espeak/espeaksynthesisdriver.c: fix for bug #545896 - eSpeak
  segmentation fault.

After you compile/install, I'd also suggest running test-speech to make sure the speech stuff works.

As a note of warning, in Intrepid, Ubuntu has wrapped the synthesis drivers in shell scripts that then execute the binary. So, it might be that your build blew away the shell scripts that were in place. In particular, I believe the pattern Ubuntu uses is something like this:

1) The gnome-speech drivers are named /usr/bin/*-synthesis-driver, where the * is one of espeak, festival, etc. This is what bonobo looks for.

2) Ubuntu moves the /usr/bin/*-synthesis-driver binaries to /usr/bin/*-synthesis-driver.bin. It then creates /usr/bin/*-synthesis-driver shell scripts that call the *.bin files.

The build/install of gnome-speech is going to blow away the /usr/bin/*-synthesis-driver files.

Having said all that, I think "sudo apt-get install libgnome-speech7" package should get you all you want without needing to build gnome-speech from sources.

As a final note of warning, Linux audio sucks and it's especially flakey on Ubuntu Intrepid these days.

Will

Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi,
Here is the part where espeak gets compiled and itseams to be complaining about some missing prototypes or something. Here is the output.

Making all in espeak
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/thomas/speech/gnome-speech-0.4.16/drivers/espeak' gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../gnome-speech -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wno-sign-compare -I/usr/include/espeak -g -O2 -MT espeaksynthesisdriver.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/espeaksynthesisdriver.Tpo -c -o espeaksynthesisdriver.o espeaksynthesisdriver.c make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/thomas/speech/gnome-speech-0.4.16/drivers/espeak' make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/thomas/speech/gnome-speech-0.4.16/drivers'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/thomas/speech/gnome-speech-0.4.16'

Willie Walker wrote:
Thomas:

Can you please send the errors from the compile?

Will

Thomas Ward wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have ben out of the Linux loop for quite a while, and this passed
Sunday I installed ubuntu 8.04 on one of my computers at home. However,
I absolutely can't stand the Espeak voices that come with Ubuntu  8.
What I want to do is recompile gnome-speech 04.16 with drivers for my
Dectalk and Cepstral software but I am getting errors.
Here is what I have done I have installed the Dectalk 5 software,
installed Cepstral, and also installed Festival with the Festival dev
packages. Then, I grabbed  the official gnome-speech 04.16 source code
from gnome.org.
Before compiling I ran the following updates so I get a gnome-speech
build.

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install autoconf
sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-speech
sudo apt-get install festival
sudo apt-get install festival-doc
sudo apt-get install festival-dev
sudo apt-get install festvox-kallpc16k
sudo apt-get install festvox-kdlpc16k
sudo apt-get install festvox-rablpc16k

Under normal circomstances this is enough to get a decent build of the
gnome-speech services with festival support plus I already mentioned
install Cepstral and Dectalk so those dependancies are there as well.
Now, I unpacked gnome-speech-04.16.tar.gz
and changed to the directory.
In gnome-terminal I did

./configure --prefix=/usr
make

The autoconf configuration part of the compile worked fine. no warnings,
errors, etc. However, during the make process gnome-speech completely
bombed out. The Cepstral and Dectalk, and even the festival speech
servers compiled fine. However, everytime it gets to the espeak part of
the compile it blows up. I would like to do one of two things. Either I
would like to tell the compile to completely ignore espeak server, or I
would like to have someone tell me what packages I must remove in order
for gnome-speech to not see them and compile. I have tried removing the
espeak package, but it still picks it up and tries compiling. So no
good. I need a list of packages to remove or some command to pass to
autoconf to tell it no I do not want, will not want, and please don't
compile a espeak server.
Thanks.