To: "Rich Caloggero" <rjc mit edu>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: Ubuntu packages - binary vs. source

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:00:07AM EST, Rich Caloggero wrote:
Luke wrote:
To find out what binary packages belong to a source package, run
'apt-cache showsrc packagename'

OK, when I try this for atk, I get nothing at all. What's up with dat?

YOu have to put a source line in your /etc/apt/sources.list, like this:

deb-src hardy main

When I try it with gail, I get the following binary package names:
Binary: libgail18, libgail-common, libgail-dev, libgail-dbg, libgail-doc

You suggest in your message that saying "apt-get install libgail18" will
do the right thing, so does this imply that the first binary package name
will be all that is required to install all of gail, or must we install
each of these binary packages in turn?

Unless one package depends on another, say libgail-dev depending on libgail18, you have to install these in turn.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)