[orca-list] General Orca questions

Hello.

For various reasons I'm trying to switch back to Linux as my primary OS.
I've successfully installed Hardy and am mostly successful with it, but
I have a few questions.

First, can someone please explain what the standard procedure for
reading email should be? I'm reading it slowly at the moment because for
each message I do the following:
1. Press enter.
2. Arrow down to the end of the headers.
3. Press right arrow several times. This gets me past a few unlabeled
tables and panels and into the message text.
4. Press +.

Compare this to the workflow for reading new webpages (I.e. load them
and they start reading automatically.) Seems like I should be able to do
something similar in Evolution.

I've noticed that, when adding new accounts in Pidgin, that characters
entered into the screenname/server name fields are spoken twice. Has
anyone else experienced this?

I've also had lots of trouble getting speech-dispatcher working. I've
mostly followed the instructions on the Orca wiki--the only step I've
not taken is to create an Orca-specific file. With the default
configuration, spd-say refuses to speak anything and, when I enable the
speech-dispatcher speech backend in the Orca preferences configuration,
it predictably fails. I've attached a log of the interaction with
LogLevel bumped to 5.

As a general Orca usability issue, if I try opening more than one
instance of the preferences app, is there some reason that Orca pops up
a dialog noting this, rather than just snapping focus to the running
instance?

In closing, I'd like to state that I'm quite impressed in what I've seen
thus far. I've played a bit with Ubuntu previously, but I've finally
gotten frustrated enough with various shortcomings in my previous
platform to seriously consider switching full-time. Last week I tried a
certain horribly inaccessible website under OS X and Windows XP with
every combination of NVDA, JAWS, Firefox 2.0/3.0 and IE. None of them
worked at all, as the site developer was doing obnoxious AJAX
server-side form validations. Firefox 3 under Orca performed well, and I
was actually able to spot just why my form data was failing to validate
on the first try. Nice work.