Re: [orca-list] My Understanding.0

Dear SatyaNarayana Murthy,

On this list I found lot of discussion focusing on ubuntu linux & it
is more accessible.
Fedora has lot of good features but  many people are not using fedora.
Hence I thought People in fedora community are not supporting accessibility.

I think there are (at least) three dynamics at play that lead to what we are experiencing as "support" or lack thereof of accessibility in the various UNIX and GNU/Linux distributions.

The first dynamic comes from historical trends around which UNIX/Linux was familiar to and comfortable for early blind adopters of the command line; and the extent to which any given UNIX/Linux has been approachable and friendly. Going back a decade or so, the RedHat/Fedora "flavor" was modified early and often for command line accessibility (the "Speakup modified" edition). In Europe we also saw similar work done on SuSE Linux (the "SuSE Blinux" edition). On this mailing list and on others (more focused on command line access), experts evolved and communities of blind UNIX/Linux users that support eachother and themselves evolved. What you experience and characterizes as good/poor support depends in part on which part(s) of this collection of mailing lists and communities you enter and first experience. The other trend was typified byCanonical and Ubuntu, which emerged as a GNOME-centric Linux offering with a relentless focus on end-user approachability and friendliness. This happened around the same time as both GNOME 2 the GNOME accessibility framework came into their own, and I believe Ubuntu was the first Linux distribution to ship with assistive technologies. Since Orca is a GUI-based screen reader (which also works in terminal windows), it makes sense that Ubuntu might seem like *the* accessible GNU/Linux in a first impression of this mailing list and the more general GNOME Accessibility mailing list.

The second dynamic comes from awareness of and penetration into the U.S. Federal government market, various U.S. State markets, and various U.S. educational institutions - all of which are impacted by Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act, and the accessibility standards for that Act as set forth by the U.S. Access Board (there are some related procurement pressures for accessibility in other parts of the world). The more any given UNIX/Linux vendor is seeking to sell into those markets, the more formal attention they need to pay accessibility. As Sun has significant sales of Solaris and Sun hardware bundled with Solaris into these markets, it makes sense that Sun has a very large presence in UNIX/Linux accessibility - including being the maintainer of Orca, of the GNOME accessibility framework, of OpenOffice.org accessibility, and of the UNIX realization of accessibility in Firefox & Thunderbird & Evolution. If I'm not mistaken, Solaris (in the form of the Solaris 10 release) was the first commercial UNIX/Linux distribution to include assistive technologies - certainly the first to include graphical assistive technologies like a screen reader and on-screen keyboard. Another UNIX/Linux company that is significantly involved in sales to these markets is Novell, and we are seeing a bunch of great accessibility engagement from them. The third dynamic comes from market and sales awareness of blind users and other users with disabilities who are using or are seeking to use UNIX/Linux - at home, in school, and at work. When there are real dollars to be had (or Euros or Pounds or Yen or...) in providing an accessibility UNIX or GNU/Linux environment, there becomes a whole lot more reasons and incentives for folks to pay attention and get involved. For example, in Extremadura and Andalusia in Spain, the school systems have settled on GNU/Linux distributions that explicitly support accessibility and include Orca. A year or so ago, a KDE-based educational application tried to get into that market, and was refused entry because it couldn't work with Orca and be accessible. More instances like this - where market penetration is blocked due to lack of accessibility - will be powerful motivators for behavioral change. We're seeing this already quite a bit on the larger Linux stage: Adobe making PDF and Flash (and I expect soon AIR) work on Linux; Microsoft & Novell making Silverlight/Moonlight work on Linux. Linux has become important enough that supporting it is critical strategically if you want to introduce a new and competitive web platform (especially when you hoping to unseat someone else already in that space). To the extent that we can help make accessible UNIX/Linux a similar strategic market requirement, we will be in a much better place (and to that end, see the Novell work on Moonlight accessibility, which I blogged about last November at http://blogs.sun.com/korn/entry/microsoft_novell_announcing_work_in).

We all can help impact all three of these dynamics above.

If there is a UNIX/Linux environment you like, join the existing accessibility community there and learn from it and help support other users; or help start an accessibility community there if there isn't much of one yet. If you are at a school, or in State or Federal government (not just in the U.S.), ask about UNIX/Linux accessibility. Let folks in the procurement and IT departments know that UNIX and GNU/Linux can be very accessible, so long as attention is paid in what is procured and how it is installed. Give demos to show folks how efficient and productive it can be. Write up your experiences in your blogs, and let the press know as well.

And finally, everywhere you interact with technology, make sure to let folks know when you are using an accessible UNIX/Linux environment that that is what you are doing. There was a recent discussion on this list about folks using Orca and Linux to file their taxes (which I blogged about at http://blogs.sun.com/korn/entry/it_is_tax_day_can). As you use web sites and file taxes and otherwise interact with technology, let folks know that you are doing so from Ubuntu or Fedora and OpenSuSE or Solaris; let folks know you are using Orca or GOK or Dasher or large print or StickyKeys. Use the specific names of thse technologies and write e-mails and letters citing them. The more we educate the rest of the world about the existence of these access solutions (and the importance of their technology being interoperable with them), the more we will see companies and web sites taking proactive effort to work with and support us.

Getting off of my soapbox now...

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.