Re: [orca-list] braille presentation of links--Also a speech

opportunity?
Hi, Mike:

Mike Pedersen writes:
Hello all, we are currently expanding our link support from only firefox
to include other applications such as openoffice, evolution, tomboy and
so-on.  With that in mind we have a few questions on which we'd like
community feedback.

Currently in firefox we put the word link after a hyper link In my
opinion this will be a real problem when trying to show links in
editable documents where layout and formatting are much more important.

Absolutely an issue in editable docs, imho. Glad this is on the docket.

We are currently adding the ability to use combinations of dots 7 and 8
to underline hyperlink text.  This feature will be user-configurable.
You will be able to choose none, dot 7, dot8, or both.

So, why not a parallel opportunity for speech users? For instance my
preference is to choose a brief sonicon and have a different pitch for
hyperlink text instead of the word "link" being spoken.

On the other hand, I suspect some users would want that "link" word
spoken. But, if all this is configurable, it should work for speech as
well as braille users, imho.

Janina